[SeaBIOS] [PATCH 00/19] Support SMBIOS 3.0 entry points

Eduardo Habkost posted 19 patches 9 months, 1 week ago
Patches applied successfully (tree, apply log)
git fetch https://github.com/patchew-project/seabios tags/patchew/20201210212640.2023885-1-ehabkost@redhat.com
6 files changed, 227 insertions(+), 84 deletions(-)

[SeaBIOS] [PATCH 00/19] Support SMBIOS 3.0 entry points

Posted by Eduardo Habkost 9 months, 1 week ago
This series implements support for SMBIOS 3.0 entry points in

SeaBIOS.



The main advantage of SMBIOS 3.0 entry points is the higher limit

for total table size.  The SMBIOS 2.1 64435 bytes limit can be

easily hit in QEMU if creating virtual machines with more than

720 VCPUs.



Eduardo Habkost (19):

  biostables: copy_fseg_table() function

  util.h: Delete unused get_smbios_entry_point() prototype

  smbios: Rename code specific for SMBIOS 2.1 entry points

  smbios: Generic smbios_next() function

  smbios: smbios_get_tables() function

  smbios: Use smbios_get_tables()/smbios_next() at display_uuid()

  smbios: smbios_major_version()/smbios_minor_version() helpers

  tpm: Use smbios_get_tables()

  csm: Don't check SMBios21Addr before calling copy_smbios_21()

  smbios: Make SMBios21Addr variable static

  smbios: Use smbios_next() at smbios_romfile_setup()

  smbios: Extract SMBIOS table building code to separate function

  smbios: Make smbios_build_tables() more generic

  smbios: smbios_21_setup_entry_point() function

  smbios: Make some smbios_build_tables() arguments optional

  smbios: Make smbios_build_tables() ready for 64-bit tables

  smbios: copy_smbios_30() function

  smbios: Support SMBIOS 3.0 entry point at copy_table()

  smbios: Support SMBIOS 3.0 entry point at smbios_romfile_setup()



 src/std/smbios.h    |  17 ++-

 src/util.h          |   5 +-

 src/fw/biostables.c | 259 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------

 src/fw/csm.c        |   6 +-

 src/fw/smbios.c     |  12 +-

 src/tcgbios.c       |  12 +-

 6 files changed, 227 insertions(+), 84 deletions(-)



-- 

2.28.0



_______________________________________________
SeaBIOS mailing list -- seabios@seabios.org
To unsubscribe send an email to seabios-leave@seabios.org

[SeaBIOS] Re: [PATCH 00/19] Support SMBIOS 3.0 entry points

Posted by Kevin O'Connor 9 months, 1 week ago
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 04:26:21PM -0500, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> This series implements support for SMBIOS 3.0 entry points in
> 
> SeaBIOS.
> 
> 
> The main advantage of SMBIOS 3.0 entry points is the higher limit
> for total table size.  The SMBIOS 2.1 64435 bytes limit can be
> easily hit in QEMU if creating virtual machines with more than
> 720 VCPUs.
> 

Thanks.  The series looks good to me.

What is the integration plan for merging this and making the
associated changes to QEMU?  Are you looking to merge this first?

I noticed that the new code only has a single qemu smbios "anchor"
file - does that mean qemu will only ever use smbios3 or smbios2 and
never need to export both simultaneously?

-Kevin
_______________________________________________
SeaBIOS mailing list -- seabios@seabios.org
To unsubscribe send an email to seabios-leave@seabios.org

[SeaBIOS] Re: [PATCH 00/19] Support SMBIOS 3.0 entry points

Posted by Eduardo Habkost 9 months, 1 week ago
On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 10:46:00AM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 04:26:21PM -0500, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> > This series implements support for SMBIOS 3.0 entry points in
> > 
> > SeaBIOS.
> > 
> > 
> > The main advantage of SMBIOS 3.0 entry points is the higher limit
> > for total table size.  The SMBIOS 2.1 64435 bytes limit can be
> > easily hit in QEMU if creating virtual machines with more than
> > 720 VCPUs.
> > 
> 
> Thanks.  The series looks good to me.
> 
> What is the integration plan for merging this and making the
> associated changes to QEMU?  Are you looking to merge this first?

The QEMU part will be based on this patch by Daniel;
https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20200908165438.1008942-6-berrange@redhat.com/

I'm looking to merge this before the QEMU option, so non-working configurations
(VM configured with SMBIOS 3.0 + lack of SeaBIOS support for SMBIOS 3.0) are
less likely.

> 
> I noticed that the new code only has a single qemu smbios "anchor"
> file - does that mean qemu will only ever use smbios3 or smbios2 and
> never need to export both simultaneously?

QEMU doesn't need to export both simultaneously, as both entry points would
contain redundant information.  It would be possible to add code to SeaBIOS to
generate both entry points for compatibility, but I'm not sure how useful that
would be (as compatibility with SMBIOS 2.1 could be easily achieved by simply
changing the QEMU configuration).

-- 
Eduardo
_______________________________________________
SeaBIOS mailing list -- seabios@seabios.org
To unsubscribe send an email to seabios-leave@seabios.org

[SeaBIOS] Re: [PATCH 00/19] Support SMBIOS 3.0 entry points

Posted by Kevin O'Connor 9 months ago
On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 02:46:29PM -0500, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 10:46:00AM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > What is the integration plan for merging this and making the
> > associated changes to QEMU?  Are you looking to merge this first?
> 
> The QEMU part will be based on this patch by Daniel;
> https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20200908165438.1008942-6-berrange@redhat.com/
> 
> I'm looking to merge this before the QEMU option, so non-working configurations
> (VM configured with SMBIOS 3.0 + lack of SeaBIOS support for SMBIOS 3.0) are
> less likely.

Thanks.  We generally prefer to merge the QEMU parts first and then
merge the SeaBIOS parts.  Though there is some flexibility.

If desired, I can merge the first 18 parts of this series, and then
merge the 19th patch after the QEMU part has passed the necessary
reviews.

Gerd - do you have any thoughts on this?

-Kevin
_______________________________________________
SeaBIOS mailing list -- seabios@seabios.org
To unsubscribe send an email to seabios-leave@seabios.org

[SeaBIOS] Re: [PATCH 00/19] Support SMBIOS 3.0 entry points

Posted by Gerd Hoffmann 9 months ago
On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:54:39AM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 02:46:29PM -0500, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 10:46:00AM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > > What is the integration plan for merging this and making the
> > > associated changes to QEMU?  Are you looking to merge this first?
> > 
> > The QEMU part will be based on this patch by Daniel;
> > https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20200908165438.1008942-6-berrange@redhat.com/
> > 
> > I'm looking to merge this before the QEMU option, so non-working configurations
> > (VM configured with SMBIOS 3.0 + lack of SeaBIOS support for SMBIOS 3.0) are
> > less likely.
> 
> Thanks.  We generally prefer to merge the QEMU parts first and then
> merge the SeaBIOS parts.  Though there is some flexibility.
> 
> If desired, I can merge the first 18 parts of this series, and then
> merge the 19th patch after the QEMU part has passed the necessary
> reviews.
> 
> Gerd - do you have any thoughts on this?

Sounds good to me.

This also means we should plan a seabios release for qemu 6.0.  We don't
have a release schedule yet, but traditionally the first release of the
year is in April with freeze in March.  So a new seabios release by end
of February would be good, although there is some wiggle room as I can
update to a snapshot before qemu freeze, then update to the final
seabios release in the qemu freeze period.

take care,
  Gerd
_______________________________________________
SeaBIOS mailing list -- seabios@seabios.org
To unsubscribe send an email to seabios-leave@seabios.org