[PATCH v3 qemu 0/3] Allow dump-guest-memory to output standard kdump format

Stephen Brennan posted 3 patches 10 months ago
Patches applied successfully (tree, apply log)
git fetch https://github.com/patchew-project/qemu tags/patchew/20230918233233.1431858-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com
Maintainers: "Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@redhat.com>, "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <dave@treblig.org>, Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com>, Markus Armbruster <armbru@redhat.com>
dump/dump-hmp-cmds.c  | 21 +++++++--
dump/dump.c           | 99 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------
hmp-commands.hx       |  9 +++-
include/sysemu/dump.h |  3 +-
qapi/dump.json        | 24 +++++++++--
5 files changed, 119 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)
[PATCH v3 qemu 0/3] Allow dump-guest-memory to output standard kdump format
Posted by Stephen Brennan 10 months ago
Hello all,

This is the third version of the kdump patch series, the first and
second revisions being visible at [1] and [2] respectively. You can see
the history and motivation for the patch series described in the cover
letter of [2].

Thank you for your continued feedback and review.
Stephen

Changes from v2 to v3:
- Rather than use "reassembled" flag in QMP API, represent each kdump
  format "kdump-X" with a new enumerator "kdump-raw-X". (The HMP
  interface retains the -R option)
- Return an error if the file descriptor passed in is not seekable, yet
  the requested dump format is kdump-raw-*

Changes from v1 to v2:
- Keep the default as the flattened format
- Add QMP / HMP arguments for "reassembled"

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20230717163855.7383-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com/
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20230914010315.945705-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com/

Stephen Brennan (3):
  dump: Pass DumpState to write_ functions
  dump: Allow directly outputting raw kdump format
  dump: Add command interface for kdump-raw formats

 dump/dump-hmp-cmds.c  | 21 +++++++--
 dump/dump.c           | 99 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------
 hmp-commands.hx       |  9 +++-
 include/sysemu/dump.h |  3 +-
 qapi/dump.json        | 24 +++++++++--
 5 files changed, 119 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)

-- 
2.39.3
Re: [PATCH v3 qemu 0/3] Allow dump-guest-memory to output standard kdump format
Posted by Marc-André Lureau 10 months ago
Hi

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 3:32 AM Stephen Brennan
<stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> This is the third version of the kdump patch series, the first and
> second revisions being visible at [1] and [2] respectively. You can see
> the history and motivation for the patch series described in the cover
> letter of [2].
>
> Thank you for your continued feedback and review.
> Stephen
>
> Changes from v2 to v3:
> - Rather than use "reassembled" flag in QMP API, represent each kdump
>   format "kdump-X" with a new enumerator "kdump-raw-X". (The HMP
>   interface retains the -R option)
> - Return an error if the file descriptor passed in is not seekable, yet
>   the requested dump format is kdump-raw-*
>
> Changes from v1 to v2:
> - Keep the default as the flattened format
> - Add QMP / HMP arguments for "reassembled"
>
> [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20230717163855.7383-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com/
> [2]: https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20230914010315.945705-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com/
>
> Stephen Brennan (3):
>   dump: Pass DumpState to write_ functions
>   dump: Allow directly outputting raw kdump format
>   dump: Add command interface for kdump-raw formats
>
>  dump/dump-hmp-cmds.c  | 21 +++++++--
>  dump/dump.c           | 99 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------
>  hmp-commands.hx       |  9 +++-
>  include/sysemu/dump.h |  3 +-
>  qapi/dump.json        | 24 +++++++++--
>  5 files changed, 119 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)
>
> --
> 2.39.3
>

For the series:
Reviewed-by: Marc-André Lureau <marcandre.lureau@redhat.com>

-- 
Marc-André Lureau
Re: [PATCH v3 qemu 0/3] Allow dump-guest-memory to output standard kdump format
Posted by Stephen Brennan 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Marc-André Lureau <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 3:32 AM Stephen Brennan
> <stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> This is the third version of the kdump patch series, the first and
>> second revisions being visible at [1] and [2] respectively. You can see
>> the history and motivation for the patch series described in the cover
>> letter of [2].
>>
>> Thank you for your continued feedback and review.
>> Stephen
>>
>> Changes from v2 to v3:
>> - Rather than use "reassembled" flag in QMP API, represent each kdump
>>   format "kdump-X" with a new enumerator "kdump-raw-X". (The HMP
>>   interface retains the -R option)
>> - Return an error if the file descriptor passed in is not seekable, yet
>>   the requested dump format is kdump-raw-*
>>
>> Changes from v1 to v2:
>> - Keep the default as the flattened format
>> - Add QMP / HMP arguments for "reassembled"
>>
>> [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20230717163855.7383-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com/
>> [2]: https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20230914010315.945705-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com/
>>
>> Stephen Brennan (3):
>>   dump: Pass DumpState to write_ functions
>>   dump: Allow directly outputting raw kdump format
>>   dump: Add command interface for kdump-raw formats
>>
>>  dump/dump-hmp-cmds.c  | 21 +++++++--
>>  dump/dump.c           | 99 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------
>>  hmp-commands.hx       |  9 +++-
>>  include/sysemu/dump.h |  3 +-
>>  qapi/dump.json        | 24 +++++++++--
>>  5 files changed, 119 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)
>>
>> --
>> 2.39.3
>>
>
> For the series:
> Reviewed-by: Marc-André Lureau <marcandre.lureau@redhat.com>
>
> -- 
> Marc-André Lureau

Hello,

Will this be queued for version 8.2? I see here[1] that the feature
freeze is November 7. I'm not really familiar with QEMU development so I
didn't know if there was a "linux-next" equivalent I could check.

[1]: https://wiki.qemu.org/Planning/8.2

Thanks,
Stephen
Re: [PATCH v3 qemu 0/3] Allow dump-guest-memory to output standard kdump format
Posted by Marc-André Lureau 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 2:44 AM Stephen Brennan
<stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Will this be queued for version 8.2? I see here[1] that the feature
> freeze is November 7. I'm not really familiar with QEMU development so I
> didn't know if there was a "linux-next" equivalent I could check.
>
> [1]: https://wiki.qemu.org/Planning/8.2

I'll prepare a PR.

thanks

-- 
Marc-André Lureau
Re: [PATCH v3 qemu 0/3] Allow dump-guest-memory to output standard kdump format
Posted by Daniel P. Berrangé 10 months ago
On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 11:53:49AM +0400, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi
> 
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 3:32 AM Stephen Brennan
> <stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > This is the third version of the kdump patch series, the first and
> > second revisions being visible at [1] and [2] respectively. You can see
> > the history and motivation for the patch series described in the cover
> > letter of [2].
> >
> > Thank you for your continued feedback and review.
> > Stephen
> >
> > Changes from v2 to v3:
> > - Rather than use "reassembled" flag in QMP API, represent each kdump
> >   format "kdump-X" with a new enumerator "kdump-raw-X". (The HMP
> >   interface retains the -R option)
> > - Return an error if the file descriptor passed in is not seekable, yet
> >   the requested dump format is kdump-raw-*
> >
> > Changes from v1 to v2:
> > - Keep the default as the flattened format
> > - Add QMP / HMP arguments for "reassembled"
> >
> > [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20230717163855.7383-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com/
> > [2]: https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20230914010315.945705-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com/
> >
> > Stephen Brennan (3):
> >   dump: Pass DumpState to write_ functions
> >   dump: Allow directly outputting raw kdump format
> >   dump: Add command interface for kdump-raw formats
> >
> >  dump/dump-hmp-cmds.c  | 21 +++++++--
> >  dump/dump.c           | 99 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------
> >  hmp-commands.hx       |  9 +++-
> >  include/sysemu/dump.h |  3 +-
> >  qapi/dump.json        | 24 +++++++++--
> >  5 files changed, 119 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)
> >
> > --
> > 2.39.3
> >
> 
> For the series:
> Reviewed-by: Marc-André Lureau <marcandre.lureau@redhat.com>

Reviewed-by: Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com>


With regards,
Daniel
-- 
|: https://berrange.com      -o-    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange :|
|: https://libvirt.org         -o-            https://fstop138.berrange.com :|
|: https://entangle-photo.org    -o-    https://www.instagram.com/dberrange :|