[PULL 0/2] Fix for the s390-ccw bios

Thomas Huth posted 2 patches 2 weeks ago
Test asan passed
Test checkpatch passed
Test FreeBSD passed
Test docker-mingw@fedora passed
Test docker-clang@ubuntu passed
Test docker-quick@centos7 passed
Patches applied successfully (tree, apply log)
git fetch https://github.com/patchew-project/qemu tags/patchew/20191129100835.21734-1-thuth@redhat.com
Maintainers: Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com>, Cornelia Huck <cohuck@redhat.com>, Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@de.ibm.com>
pc-bios/s390-ccw.img     | Bin 42608 -> 42608 bytes
pc-bios/s390-ccw/sclp.c  |   2 +-
pc-bios/s390-netboot.img | Bin 67232 -> 67232 bytes
3 files changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

[PULL 0/2] Fix for the s390-ccw bios

Posted by Thomas Huth 2 weeks ago
 Hi Peter,

the following changes since commit 1a61a081ac33ae6cb7dd2e38d119a572f416c7f7:

  Update version for v4.2.0-rc3 release (2019-11-26 21:52:26 +0000)

are available in the Git repository at:

  https://gitlab.com/huth/qemu.git tags/pull-request-2019-11-29

for you to fetch changes up to bf876a688c9319b506d5ff1175ba7189cd933d91:

  pc-bios/s390: Update firmware image with the "fix sclp_get_loadparm_ascii" patch (2019-11-29 10:12:33 +0100)

----------------------------------------------------------------
A fix for regression in the s390-ccw bios
----------------------------------------------------------------

... it would be good to still get this into 4.2 if possible!

Claudio Imbrenda (1):
      pc-bios/s390-ccw: fix sclp_get_loadparm_ascii

Thomas Huth (1):
      pc-bios/s390: Update firmware image with the "fix sclp_get_loadparm_ascii" patch

 pc-bios/s390-ccw.img     | Bin 42608 -> 42608 bytes
 pc-bios/s390-ccw/sclp.c  |   2 +-
 pc-bios/s390-netboot.img | Bin 67232 -> 67232 bytes
 3 files changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)


Re: [PULL 0/2] Fix for the s390-ccw bios

Posted by Peter Maydell 2 weeks ago
On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 10:08, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>  Hi Peter,
>
> the following changes since commit 1a61a081ac33ae6cb7dd2e38d119a572f416c7f7:
>
>   Update version for v4.2.0-rc3 release (2019-11-26 21:52:26 +0000)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/huth/qemu.git tags/pull-request-2019-11-29
>
> for you to fetch changes up to bf876a688c9319b506d5ff1175ba7189cd933d91:
>
>   pc-bios/s390: Update firmware image with the "fix sclp_get_loadparm_ascii" patch (2019-11-29 10:12:33 +0100)
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> A fix for regression in the s390-ccw bios
> ----------------------------------------------------------------


Applied, thanks.

Please update the changelog at https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/4.2
for any user-visible changes.

-- PMM

Re: [PULL 0/2] Fix for the s390-ccw bios

Posted by Peter Maydell 2 weeks ago
On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 10:08, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>  Hi Peter,
>
> the following changes since commit 1a61a081ac33ae6cb7dd2e38d119a572f416c7f7:
>
>   Update version for v4.2.0-rc3 release (2019-11-26 21:52:26 +0000)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/huth/qemu.git tags/pull-request-2019-11-29
>
> for you to fetch changes up to bf876a688c9319b506d5ff1175ba7189cd933d91:
>
>   pc-bios/s390: Update firmware image with the "fix sclp_get_loadparm_ascii" patch (2019-11-29 10:12:33 +0100)
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> A fix for regression in the s390-ccw bios
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ... it would be good to still get this into 4.2 if possible!

Well, it's possible, but this is currently the only thing
that would need an rc4, so the question is how important
is the regression and how safe is the fix? If it's just
a minor corner case then it's tempting to not have an rc4
unless we need it for some other reason.

Summary: it can go into 4.2 but you need to provide some
rationale in the pullreq cover letter to make the case for it :-)

thanks
-- PMM

Re: [PULL 0/2] Fix for the s390-ccw bios

Posted by Thomas Huth 2 weeks ago
On 29/11/2019 11.46, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 10:08, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Peter,
>>
>> the following changes since commit 1a61a081ac33ae6cb7dd2e38d119a572f416c7f7:
>>
>>   Update version for v4.2.0-rc3 release (2019-11-26 21:52:26 +0000)
>>
>> are available in the Git repository at:
>>
>>   https://gitlab.com/huth/qemu.git tags/pull-request-2019-11-29
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to bf876a688c9319b506d5ff1175ba7189cd933d91:
>>
>>   pc-bios/s390: Update firmware image with the "fix sclp_get_loadparm_ascii" patch (2019-11-29 10:12:33 +0100)
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> A fix for regression in the s390-ccw bios
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> ... it would be good to still get this into 4.2 if possible!
> 
> Well, it's possible, but this is currently the only thing
> that would need an rc4, so the question is how important
> is the regression and how safe is the fix? If it's just
> a minor corner case then it's tempting to not have an rc4
> unless we need it for some other reason.
> 
> Summary: it can go into 4.2 but you need to provide some
> rationale in the pullreq cover letter to make the case for it :-)

 Hi Peter,

without the fix, certain boot scenarios break:

- "-boot menu=on" does not work anymore.

- It's not possible anymore to specify the s390x-specific "loadparm"
  option (can be used e.g. with "-machine s390-ccw-virtio,loadparm=xyz")
  This is e.g. important for booting alternate kernel that are installed
  on the guest's hard disk image.

The fix is just a one-liner, has been reviewed and tested by multiple
people already, so it should not cause any other regressions.

I think you could merge it also without doing another RC next week - the
people who care about s390x on the list already have checked the fix, so
we won't get too much additional testing coverage if you release yet
another RC before the final release.

 Thomas


Re: [PULL 0/2] Fix for the s390-ccw bios

Posted by Peter Maydell 2 weeks ago
On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 12:08, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
> without the fix, certain boot scenarios break:
>
> - "-boot menu=on" does not work anymore.
>
> - It's not possible anymore to specify the s390x-specific "loadparm"
>   option (can be used e.g. with "-machine s390-ccw-virtio,loadparm=xyz")
>   This is e.g. important for booting alternate kernel that are installed
>   on the guest's hard disk image.
>
> The fix is just a one-liner, has been reviewed and tested by multiple
> people already, so it should not cause any other regressions.

OK, that sounds worth fixing.

> I think you could merge it also without doing another RC next week

I never do releases which have any changes which haven't been in
an RC. This is a rule I'm not willing to break. Sometimes we do
an RC with less than the usual week's delay if there's just one
last simple bug to be fixed.

thanks
-- PMM