[for-5.0 0/4] spapr: Improvements to CAS feature negotiation

David Gibson posted 4 patches 2 weeks ago
Test asan passed
Test checkpatch passed
Test FreeBSD passed
Test docker-mingw@fedora passed
Test docker-clang@ubuntu passed
Test docker-quick@centos7 passed
Patches applied successfully (tree, apply log)
git fetch https://github.com/patchew-project/qemu tags/patchew/20191129053356.232413-1-david@gibson.dropbear.id.au
Maintainers: David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au>
hw/ppc/spapr.c              | 92 +++----------------------------------
hw/ppc/spapr_hcall.c        | 90 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
hw/ppc/spapr_ovec.c         | 30 ++++--------
include/hw/ppc/spapr.h      |  4 +-
include/hw/ppc/spapr_ovec.h |  4 +-
5 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 137 deletions(-)

[for-5.0 0/4] spapr: Improvements to CAS feature negotiation

Posted by David Gibson 2 weeks ago
This series contains several cleanups to the handling of the
ibm,client-architecture-support firmware call used for boot time
feature negotiation between the guest OS and the firmware &
hypervisor.

Mostly it's just internal polish, but one significant user visible
change is that we no longer generate an extra CAS reboot to switch
between XICS and XIVE interrupt modes (by far the most common cause of
CAS reboots in practice).

David Gibson (4):
  spapr: Don't trigger a CAS reboot for XICS/XIVE mode changeover
  spapr: Improve handling of fdt buffer size
  spapr: Fold h_cas_compose_response() into
    h_client_architecture_support()
  spapr: Simplify ovec diff

 hw/ppc/spapr.c              | 92 +++----------------------------------
 hw/ppc/spapr_hcall.c        | 90 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
 hw/ppc/spapr_ovec.c         | 30 ++++--------
 include/hw/ppc/spapr.h      |  4 +-
 include/hw/ppc/spapr_ovec.h |  4 +-
 5 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 137 deletions(-)

-- 
2.23.0


Re: [for-5.0 0/4] spapr: Improvements to CAS feature negotiation

Posted by Cédric Le Goater 1 week ago
On 29/11/2019 06:33, David Gibson wrote:
> This series contains several cleanups to the handling of the
> ibm,client-architecture-support firmware call used for boot time
> feature negotiation between the guest OS and the firmware &
> hypervisor.
> 
> Mostly it's just internal polish, but one significant user visible
> change is that we no longer generate an extra CAS reboot to switch
> between XICS and XIVE interrupt modes (by far the most common cause of
> CAS reboots in practice).


I love it. thanks for removing this extra reboot.

C. 


> 
> David Gibson (4):
>   spapr: Don't trigger a CAS reboot for XICS/XIVE mode changeover
>   spapr: Improve handling of fdt buffer size
>   spapr: Fold h_cas_compose_response() into
>     h_client_architecture_support()
>   spapr: Simplify ovec diff
> 
>  hw/ppc/spapr.c              | 92 +++----------------------------------
>  hw/ppc/spapr_hcall.c        | 90 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
>  hw/ppc/spapr_ovec.c         | 30 ++++--------
>  include/hw/ppc/spapr.h      |  4 +-
>  include/hw/ppc/spapr_ovec.h |  4 +-
>  5 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 137 deletions(-)
> 


Re: [for-5.0 0/4] spapr: Improvements to CAS feature negotiation

Posted by David Gibson 1 week ago
On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 08:05:13AM +0100, Cédric Le Goater wrote:
> On 29/11/2019 06:33, David Gibson wrote:
> > This series contains several cleanups to the handling of the
> > ibm,client-architecture-support firmware call used for boot time
> > feature negotiation between the guest OS and the firmware &
> > hypervisor.
> > 
> > Mostly it's just internal polish, but one significant user visible
> > change is that we no longer generate an extra CAS reboot to switch
> > between XICS and XIVE interrupt modes (by far the most common cause of
> > CAS reboots in practice).
> 
> 
> I love it. thanks for removing this extra reboot.

Glad you like it.  I've folded this into ppc-for-5.0 now.

> 
> C. 
> 
> 
> > 
> > David Gibson (4):
> >   spapr: Don't trigger a CAS reboot for XICS/XIVE mode changeover
> >   spapr: Improve handling of fdt buffer size
> >   spapr: Fold h_cas_compose_response() into
> >     h_client_architecture_support()
> >   spapr: Simplify ovec diff
> > 
> >  hw/ppc/spapr.c              | 92 +++----------------------------------
> >  hw/ppc/spapr_hcall.c        | 90 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
> >  hw/ppc/spapr_ovec.c         | 30 ++++--------
> >  include/hw/ppc/spapr.h      |  4 +-
> >  include/hw/ppc/spapr_ovec.h |  4 +-
> >  5 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 137 deletions(-)
> > 
> 

-- 
David Gibson			| I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| minimalist, thank you.  NOT _the_ _other_
				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson