[Xen-devel] [PATCH v3 00/20] hw/i386/pc: Split PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge

Philippe Mathieu-Daudé posted 20 patches 3 weeks ago
Failed in applying to current master (apply log)
MAINTAINERS                      |  14 +-
hw/acpi/pcihp.c                  |   2 +-
hw/acpi/piix4.c                  |  42 +--
hw/core/irq.c                    |  14 -
hw/i386/Kconfig                  |   3 +-
hw/i386/acpi-build.c             |   5 +-
hw/i386/pc_piix.c                |  10 +-
hw/i386/xen/xen-hvm.c            |   5 +-
hw/intc/apic_common.c            |  49 ----
hw/isa/Kconfig                   |   4 +
hw/isa/Makefile.objs             |   1 +
hw/isa/piix3.c                   | 399 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
hw/isa/piix4.c                   | 151 ++++++++++-
hw/mips/gt64xxx_pci.c            |   5 +-
hw/mips/mips_malta.c             |  46 +---
hw/pci-host/Kconfig              |   3 +-
hw/pci-host/Makefile.objs        |   2 +-
hw/pci-host/{piix.c => i440fx.c} | 424 +------------------------------
hw/timer/i8254_common.c          |  40 ---
include/hw/acpi/piix4.h          |   6 -
include/hw/i386/pc.h             |  37 ---
include/hw/irq.h                 |   5 -
include/hw/isa/isa.h             |   2 +
include/hw/pci-host/i440fx.h     |  36 +++
include/hw/southbridge/piix.h    |  74 ++++++
stubs/pci-host-piix.c            |   3 +-
26 files changed, 699 insertions(+), 683 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 hw/isa/piix3.c
rename hw/pci-host/{piix.c => i440fx.c} (58%)
delete mode 100644 include/hw/acpi/piix4.h
create mode 100644 include/hw/pci-host/i440fx.h
create mode 100644 include/hw/southbridge/piix.h

[Xen-devel] [PATCH v3 00/20] hw/i386/pc: Split PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge

Posted by Philippe Mathieu-Daudé 3 weeks ago
Changes since v2 [0]:
- Use a #define
- Reword one description
- Added review tags (thanks all for reviewing!)

Changes since v1 [1]:
- Removed patch reintroducing DO_UPCAST() use (thuth)
- Took various patches out to reduce series (thuth)
- Added review tags (thanks all for reviewing!)

$ git backport-diff -u pc_split_i440fx_piix-v2
Key:
[----] : patches are identical
[####] : number of functional differences between upstream/downstream patch
[down] : patch is downstream-only
The flags [FC] indicate (F)unctional and (C)ontextual differences, respectively

001/20:[----] [--] 'MAINTAINERS: Keep PIIX4 South Bridge separate from PC Chipsets'
002/20:[0004] [FC] 'piix4: Add the Reset Control Register'
003/20:[0002] [FC] 'piix4: Add an i8259 Interrupt Controller as specified in datasheet'
004/20:[----] [--] 'Revert "irq: introduce qemu_irq_proxy()"'
005/20:[----] [--] 'piix4: Rename PIIX4 object to piix4-isa'
006/20:[----] [--] 'piix4: Add an i8257 DMA Controller as specified in datasheet'
007/20:[----] [-C] 'piix4: Add an i8254 PIT Controller as specified in datasheet'
008/20:[0004] [FC] 'piix4: Add a MC146818 RTC Controller as specified in datasheet'
009/20:[----] [--] 'hw/mips/mips_malta: Create IDE hard drive array dynamically'
010/20:[----] [--] 'hw/mips/mips_malta: Extract the PIIX4 creation code as piix4_create()'
011/20:[----] [-C] 'hw/isa/piix4: Move piix4_create() to hw/isa/piix4.c'
012/20:[----] [--] 'hw/i386: Remove obsolete LoadStateHandler::load_state_old handlers'
013/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Extract piix3_create()'
014/20:[0002] [FC] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Move RCR_IOPORT register definition'
015/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Define and use the PIIX IRQ Route Control Registers'
016/20:[----] [-C] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Move i440FX declarations to hw/pci-host/i440fx.h'
017/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Fix code style issues'
018/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Extract PIIX3 functions to hw/isa/piix3.c'
019/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host: Rename incorrectly named 'piix' as 'i440fx''
020/20:[0004] [FC] 'hw/pci-host/i440fx: Remove the last PIIX3 traces'

Previous cover:

This series is a rework of "piix4: cleanup and improvements" [2]
from Hervé, and my "remove i386/pc dependency: PIIX cleanup" [3].

Still trying to remove the strong X86/PC dependency 2 years later,
one step at a time.
Here we split the PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge.
The i440FX northbridge is only used by the PC machine, while the
PIIX southbridge is also used by the Malta MIPS machine.

This is also a step forward using KConfig with the Malta board.
Without this split, it was impossible to compile the Malta without
pulling various X86 pieces of code.

The overall design cleanup is not yet perfect, but enough to post
as a series.

Now that the PIIX3 code is extracted, the code duplication with the
PIIX4 chipset is obvious. Not worth improving for now because it
isn't broken.

Based-on: <1572097538-18898-1-git-send-email-pbonzini@redhat.com>
to include:
mc146818rtc: Allow call object_initialize(MC146818_RTC) instead of rtc_init()
https://mid.mail-archive.com/20191018133547.10936-1-philmd@redhat.com

Since Aleksandar offered me to send the pull request [4] I plan to do
it once Paolo's pull [5] is merged.

Thanks,

Phil.

CI results:
https://travis-ci.org/philmd/qemu/builds/603253987
https://app.shippable.com/github/philmd/qemu/runs/550/summary/console

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/msg04662.html
[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/msg03685.html
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg500737.html
[3] https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg504081.html
[4] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/msg04959.html
[5] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/msg07339.html

Hervé Poussineau (5):
  piix4: Add the Reset Control Register
  piix4: Add an i8259 Interrupt Controller as specified in datasheet
  piix4: Rename PIIX4 object to piix4-isa
  piix4: Add an i8257 DMA Controller as specified in datasheet
  piix4: Add an i8254 PIT Controller as specified in datasheet

Philippe Mathieu-Daudé (15):
  MAINTAINERS: Keep PIIX4 South Bridge separate from PC Chipsets
  Revert "irq: introduce qemu_irq_proxy()"
  piix4: Add a MC146818 RTC Controller as specified in datasheet
  hw/mips/mips_malta: Create IDE hard drive array dynamically
  hw/mips/mips_malta: Extract the PIIX4 creation code as piix4_create()
  hw/isa/piix4: Move piix4_create() to hw/isa/piix4.c
  hw/i386: Remove obsolete LoadStateHandler::load_state_old handlers
  hw/pci-host/piix: Extract piix3_create()
  hw/pci-host/piix: Move RCR_IOPORT register definition
  hw/pci-host/piix: Define and use the PIIX IRQ Route Control Registers
  hw/pci-host/piix: Move i440FX declarations to hw/pci-host/i440fx.h
  hw/pci-host/piix: Fix code style issues
  hw/pci-host/piix: Extract PIIX3 functions to hw/isa/piix3.c
  hw/pci-host: Rename incorrectly named 'piix' as 'i440fx'
  hw/pci-host/i440fx: Remove the last PIIX3 traces

 MAINTAINERS                      |  14 +-
 hw/acpi/pcihp.c                  |   2 +-
 hw/acpi/piix4.c                  |  42 +--
 hw/core/irq.c                    |  14 -
 hw/i386/Kconfig                  |   3 +-
 hw/i386/acpi-build.c             |   5 +-
 hw/i386/pc_piix.c                |  10 +-
 hw/i386/xen/xen-hvm.c            |   5 +-
 hw/intc/apic_common.c            |  49 ----
 hw/isa/Kconfig                   |   4 +
 hw/isa/Makefile.objs             |   1 +
 hw/isa/piix3.c                   | 399 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 hw/isa/piix4.c                   | 151 ++++++++++-
 hw/mips/gt64xxx_pci.c            |   5 +-
 hw/mips/mips_malta.c             |  46 +---
 hw/pci-host/Kconfig              |   3 +-
 hw/pci-host/Makefile.objs        |   2 +-
 hw/pci-host/{piix.c => i440fx.c} | 424 +------------------------------
 hw/timer/i8254_common.c          |  40 ---
 include/hw/acpi/piix4.h          |   6 -
 include/hw/i386/pc.h             |  37 ---
 include/hw/irq.h                 |   5 -
 include/hw/isa/isa.h             |   2 +
 include/hw/pci-host/i440fx.h     |  36 +++
 include/hw/southbridge/piix.h    |  74 ++++++
 stubs/pci-host-piix.c            |   3 +-
 26 files changed, 699 insertions(+), 683 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 hw/isa/piix3.c
 rename hw/pci-host/{piix.c => i440fx.c} (58%)
 delete mode 100644 include/hw/acpi/piix4.h
 create mode 100644 include/hw/pci-host/i440fx.h
 create mode 100644 include/hw/southbridge/piix.h

-- 
2.21.0


_______________________________________________
Xen-devel mailing list
Xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org
https://lists.xenproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen-devel

Re: [PATCH v3 00/20] hw/i386/pc: Split PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge

Posted by Aleksandar Markovic 3 weeks ago
On Saturday, October 26, 2019, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com>
wrote:

> Changes since v2 [0]:
> - Use a #define
> - Reword one description
> - Added review tags (thanks all for reviewing!)
>
> Changes since v1 [1]:
> - Removed patch reintroducing DO_UPCAST() use (thuth)
> - Took various patches out to reduce series (thuth)
> - Added review tags (thanks all for reviewing!)
>
> $ git backport-diff -u pc_split_i440fx_piix-v2
> Key:
> [----] : patches are identical
> [####] : number of functional differences between upstream/downstream patch
> [down] : patch is downstream-only
> The flags [FC] indicate (F)unctional and (C)ontextual differences,
> respectively
>
> 001/20:[----] [--] 'MAINTAINERS: Keep PIIX4 South Bridge separate from PC
> Chipsets'
> 002/20:[0004] [FC] 'piix4: Add the Reset Control Register'
> 003/20:[0002] [FC] 'piix4: Add an i8259 Interrupt Controller as specified
> in datasheet'
> 004/20:[----] [--] 'Revert "irq: introduce qemu_irq_proxy()"'
> 005/20:[----] [--] 'piix4: Rename PIIX4 object to piix4-isa'
> 006/20:[----] [--] 'piix4: Add an i8257 DMA Controller as specified in
> datasheet'
> 007/20:[----] [-C] 'piix4: Add an i8254 PIT Controller as specified in
> datasheet'
> 008/20:[0004] [FC] 'piix4: Add a MC146818 RTC Controller as specified in
> datasheet'
> 009/20:[----] [--] 'hw/mips/mips_malta: Create IDE hard drive array
> dynamically'
> 010/20:[----] [--] 'hw/mips/mips_malta: Extract the PIIX4 creation code as
> piix4_create()'
> 011/20:[----] [-C] 'hw/isa/piix4: Move piix4_create() to hw/isa/piix4.c'
> 012/20:[----] [--] 'hw/i386: Remove obsolete LoadStateHandler::load_state_old
> handlers'
> 013/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Extract piix3_create()'
> 014/20:[0002] [FC] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Move RCR_IOPORT register definition'
> 015/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Define and use the PIIX IRQ Route
> Control Registers'
> 016/20:[----] [-C] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Move i440FX declarations to
> hw/pci-host/i440fx.h'
> 017/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Fix code style issues'
> 018/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Extract PIIX3 functions to
> hw/isa/piix3.c'
> 019/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host: Rename incorrectly named 'piix' as
> 'i440fx''
> 020/20:[0004] [FC] 'hw/pci-host/i440fx: Remove the last PIIX3 traces'
>
> Previous cover:
>
> This series is a rework of "piix4: cleanup and improvements" [2]
> from Hervé, and my "remove i386/pc dependency: PIIX cleanup" [3].
>
> Still trying to remove the strong X86/PC dependency 2 years later,
> one step at a time.
> Here we split the PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge.
> The i440FX northbridge is only used by the PC machine, while the
> PIIX southbridge is also used by the Malta MIPS machine.
>
> This is also a step forward using KConfig with the Malta board.
> Without this split, it was impossible to compile the Malta without
> pulling various X86 pieces of code.
>
> The overall design cleanup is not yet perfect, but enough to post
> as a series.
>
> Now that the PIIX3 code is extracted, the code duplication with the
> PIIX4 chipset is obvious. Not worth improving for now because it
> isn't broken.
>
> Based-on: <1572097538-18898-1-git-send-email-pbonzini@redhat.com>
> to include:
> mc146818rtc: Allow call object_initialize(MC146818_RTC) instead of
> rtc_init()
> https://mid.mail-archive.com/20191018133547.10936-1-philmd@redhat.com
>
> Since Aleksandar offered me to send the pull request [4] I plan to do
> it once Paolo's pull [5] is merged.
>
>
Philippe,

I attempted the other day the integration of v2 of this series into MIPS
pull request, but couldn't do it - since another series of yours was
already merged, acting on the same code, making rebasing difficult. Now
this, v3, series can't be applied since certain patches in some, on
surface, unrelated series aren't megred, and v3 assumes they are merged.

If you send a series, it should preferably be based on the latest (current)
code base, not on some imagined future state.

Why did you create this such mess with interdependencies of your own
multiple series, and just right before softfreeze? :( You should have
distributed submitting those series over longer time interval, and
absolutely avoid, if possible, this hectic around-softfreeze period. You
did the opposite: waited for softfreeze to become close, and sent several
interdependant series in matter of days - creating stress without any real
technical reason.

In case you, for any reason, can't complete this by softfreeze, I advice
you not to rush, and postpone the integration to 5.0.

Thanks,
Aleksandar



> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
>
> CI results:
> https://travis-ci.org/philmd/qemu/builds/603253987
> https://app.shippable.com/github/philmd/qemu/runs/550/summary/console
>
> [0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/msg04662.html
> [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/msg03685.html
> [2] https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg500737.html
> [3] https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg504081.html
> [4] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/msg04959.html
> [5] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/msg07339.html
>
> Hervé Poussineau (5):
>   piix4: Add the Reset Control Register
>   piix4: Add an i8259 Interrupt Controller as specified in datasheet
>   piix4: Rename PIIX4 object to piix4-isa
>   piix4: Add an i8257 DMA Controller as specified in datasheet
>   piix4: Add an i8254 PIT Controller as specified in datasheet
>
> Philippe Mathieu-Daudé (15):
>   MAINTAINERS: Keep PIIX4 South Bridge separate from PC Chipsets
>   Revert "irq: introduce qemu_irq_proxy()"
>   piix4: Add a MC146818 RTC Controller as specified in datasheet
>   hw/mips/mips_malta: Create IDE hard drive array dynamically
>   hw/mips/mips_malta: Extract the PIIX4 creation code as piix4_create()
>   hw/isa/piix4: Move piix4_create() to hw/isa/piix4.c
>   hw/i386: Remove obsolete LoadStateHandler::load_state_old handlers
>   hw/pci-host/piix: Extract piix3_create()
>   hw/pci-host/piix: Move RCR_IOPORT register definition
>   hw/pci-host/piix: Define and use the PIIX IRQ Route Control Registers
>   hw/pci-host/piix: Move i440FX declarations to hw/pci-host/i440fx.h
>   hw/pci-host/piix: Fix code style issues
>   hw/pci-host/piix: Extract PIIX3 functions to hw/isa/piix3.c
>   hw/pci-host: Rename incorrectly named 'piix' as 'i440fx'
>   hw/pci-host/i440fx: Remove the last PIIX3 traces
>
>  MAINTAINERS                      |  14 +-
>  hw/acpi/pcihp.c                  |   2 +-
>  hw/acpi/piix4.c                  |  42 +--
>  hw/core/irq.c                    |  14 -
>  hw/i386/Kconfig                  |   3 +-
>  hw/i386/acpi-build.c             |   5 +-
>  hw/i386/pc_piix.c                |  10 +-
>  hw/i386/xen/xen-hvm.c            |   5 +-
>  hw/intc/apic_common.c            |  49 ----
>  hw/isa/Kconfig                   |   4 +
>  hw/isa/Makefile.objs             |   1 +
>  hw/isa/piix3.c                   | 399 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  hw/isa/piix4.c                   | 151 ++++++++++-
>  hw/mips/gt64xxx_pci.c            |   5 +-
>  hw/mips/mips_malta.c             |  46 +---
>  hw/pci-host/Kconfig              |   3 +-
>  hw/pci-host/Makefile.objs        |   2 +-
>  hw/pci-host/{piix.c => i440fx.c} | 424 +------------------------------
>  hw/timer/i8254_common.c          |  40 ---
>  include/hw/acpi/piix4.h          |   6 -
>  include/hw/i386/pc.h             |  37 ---
>  include/hw/irq.h                 |   5 -
>  include/hw/isa/isa.h             |   2 +
>  include/hw/pci-host/i440fx.h     |  36 +++
>  include/hw/southbridge/piix.h    |  74 ++++++
>  stubs/pci-host-piix.c            |   3 +-
>  26 files changed, 699 insertions(+), 683 deletions(-)
>  create mode 100644 hw/isa/piix3.c
>  rename hw/pci-host/{piix.c => i440fx.c} (58%)
>  delete mode 100644 include/hw/acpi/piix4.h
>  create mode 100644 include/hw/pci-host/i440fx.h
>  create mode 100644 include/hw/southbridge/piix.h
>
> --
> 2.21.0
>
>
>

Re: [PATCH v3 00/20] hw/i386/pc: Split PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge

Posted by Philippe Mathieu-Daudé 3 weeks ago
Hi Aleksandar,

On 10/27/19 8:44 AM, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
> On Saturday, October 26, 2019, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com 
> <mailto:philmd@redhat.com>> wrote:
> 
>     Changes since v2 [0]:
>     - Use a #define
>     - Reword one description
>     - Added review tags (thanks all for reviewing!)
> 
>     Changes since v1 [1]:
>     - Removed patch reintroducing DO_UPCAST() use (thuth)
>     - Took various patches out to reduce series (thuth)
>     - Added review tags (thanks all for reviewing!)
> 
>     $ git backport-diff -u pc_split_i440fx_piix-v2
>     Key:
>     [----] : patches are identical
>     [####] : number of functional differences between
>     upstream/downstream patch
>     [down] : patch is downstream-only
>     The flags [FC] indicate (F)unctional and (C)ontextual differences,
>     respectively
> 
>     001/20:[----] [--] 'MAINTAINERS: Keep PIIX4 South Bridge separate
>     from PC Chipsets'
>     002/20:[0004] [FC] 'piix4: Add the Reset Control Register'
>     003/20:[0002] [FC] 'piix4: Add an i8259 Interrupt Controller as
>     specified in datasheet'
>     004/20:[----] [--] 'Revert "irq: introduce qemu_irq_proxy()"'
>     005/20:[----] [--] 'piix4: Rename PIIX4 object to piix4-isa'
>     006/20:[----] [--] 'piix4: Add an i8257 DMA Controller as specified
>     in datasheet'
>     007/20:[----] [-C] 'piix4: Add an i8254 PIT Controller as specified
>     in datasheet'
>     008/20:[0004] [FC] 'piix4: Add a MC146818 RTC Controller as
>     specified in datasheet'
>     009/20:[----] [--] 'hw/mips/mips_malta: Create IDE hard drive array
>     dynamically'
>     010/20:[----] [--] 'hw/mips/mips_malta: Extract the PIIX4 creation
>     code as piix4_create()'
>     011/20:[----] [-C] 'hw/isa/piix4: Move piix4_create() to hw/isa/piix4.c'
>     012/20:[----] [--] 'hw/i386: Remove obsolete
>     LoadStateHandler::load_state_old handlers'
>     013/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Extract piix3_create()'
>     014/20:[0002] [FC] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Move RCR_IOPORT register
>     definition'
>     015/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Define and use the PIIX IRQ
>     Route Control Registers'
>     016/20:[----] [-C] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Move i440FX declarations to
>     hw/pci-host/i440fx.h'
>     017/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Fix code style issues'
>     018/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host/piix: Extract PIIX3 functions to
>     hw/isa/piix3.c'
>     019/20:[----] [--] 'hw/pci-host: Rename incorrectly named 'piix' as
>     'i440fx''
>     020/20:[0004] [FC] 'hw/pci-host/i440fx: Remove the last PIIX3 traces'
> 
>     Previous cover:
> 
>     This series is a rework of "piix4: cleanup and improvements" [2]
>     from Hervé, and my "remove i386/pc dependency: PIIX cleanup" [3].
> 
>     Still trying to remove the strong X86/PC dependency 2 years later,
>     one step at a time.
>     Here we split the PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge.
>     The i440FX northbridge is only used by the PC machine, while the
>     PIIX southbridge is also used by the Malta MIPS machine.
> 
>     This is also a step forward using KConfig with the Malta board.
>     Without this split, it was impossible to compile the Malta without
>     pulling various X86 pieces of code.
> 
>     The overall design cleanup is not yet perfect, but enough to post
>     as a series.
> 
>     Now that the PIIX3 code is extracted, the code duplication with the
>     PIIX4 chipset is obvious. Not worth improving for now because it
>     isn't broken.
> 
>     Based-on: <1572097538-18898-1-git-send-email-pbonzini@redhat.com
>     <mailto:1572097538-18898-1-git-send-email-pbonzini@redhat.com>>
>     to include:
>     mc146818rtc: Allow call object_initialize(MC146818_RTC) instead of
>     rtc_init()
>     https://mid.mail-archive.com/20191018133547.10936-1-philmd@redhat.com <https://mid.mail-archive.com/20191018133547.10936-1-philmd@redhat.com>
> 
>     Since Aleksandar offered me to send the pull request [4] I plan to do
>     it once Paolo's pull [5] is merged.
> 
> 
> Philippe,
> 
> I attempted the other day the integration of v2 of this series into MIPS 
> pull request, but couldn't do it - since another series of yours was 
> already merged, acting on the same code, making rebasing difficult. Now 
> this, v3, series can't be applied since certain patches in some, on 
> surface, unrelated series aren't megred, and v3 assumes they are merged.
> 
> If you send a series, it should preferably be based on the latest 
> (current) code base, not on some imagined future state.

I used the 'based-on' tag to refer other series, and patchew succeeded
at applying this series on top of it and build/test it.

Based-on: <1572097538-18898-1-git-send-email-pbonzini@redhat.com

> Why did you create this such mess with interdependencies of your own 
> multiple series, and just right before softfreeze? :( You should have 
> distributed submitting those series over longer time interval, and 
> absolutely avoid, if possible, this hectic around-softfreeze period. You 
> did the opposite: waited for softfreeze to become close, and sent 
> several interdependant series in matter of days - creating stress 
> without any real technical reason.

This series touches multiple subsystems, so different maintainers had to 
take the various parts, so I had to split.

Also Peter gave the recommendation on the list to not put more than 20 
patches in a series, to make it digestible for review.

> In case you, for any reason, can't complete this by softfreeze, I advice 
> you not to rush, and postpone the integration to 5.0.

This series doesn't provide any useful feature, it is a simple cleanup,
posted and reviewed before soft freeze, so we still have 1 week (until
hard freeze) to have it merged, or postpone. No need to stress out for
a cleanup ;)

Regards,

Phil.

Re: [Xen-devel] [PATCH v3 00/20] hw/i386/pc: Split PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge

Posted by Aleksandar Markovic 3 weeks ago
>
> In case you, for any reason, can't complete this by softfreeze, I advice
>> you not to rush, and postpone the integration to 5.0.
>>
>
> This series doesn't provide any useful feature, it is a simple cleanup,
> posted and reviewed before soft freeze, so we still have 1 week (until
> hard freeze) to have it merged, or postpone. No need to stress out for
> a cleanup ;)
>
>
I sounded too tight, and I apologize.

You submitted the pull request before softfreeze, so, in my understanding,
it should be merged, after some integration hickups are resolved. And I am
positive you will resolve them.

By 'completing' I meant 'sending the pull request', so you are on time in
my book.

Take it easy, and I welcome this fine work of yours to be integrated.

Aleksandar



> Regards,
>
> Phil.
>
_______________________________________________
Xen-devel mailing list
Xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org
https://lists.xenproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen-devel

Re: [Xen-devel] [PATCH v3 00/20] hw/i386/pc: Split PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge

Posted by no-reply@patchew.org 3 weeks ago
Patchew URL: https://patchew.org/QEMU/20191026180143.7369-1-philmd@redhat.com/



Hi,

This series seems to have some coding style problems. See output below for
more information:

Subject: [Xen-devel] [PATCH v3 00/20] hw/i386/pc: Split PIIX3 southbridge from i440FX northbridge
Type: series
Message-id: 20191026180143.7369-1-philmd@redhat.com

=== TEST SCRIPT BEGIN ===
#!/bin/bash
git rev-parse base > /dev/null || exit 0
git config --local diff.renamelimit 0
git config --local diff.renames True
git config --local diff.algorithm histogram
./scripts/checkpatch.pl --mailback base..
=== TEST SCRIPT END ===

Updating 3c8cf5a9c21ff8782164d1def7f44bd888713384
From https://github.com/patchew-project/qemu
   1688439..844178e  master     -> master
Switched to a new branch 'test'
dff7d02 hw/pci-host/i440fx: Remove the last PIIX3 traces
1867a85 hw/pci-host: Rename incorrectly named 'piix' as 'i440fx'
474b121 hw/pci-host/piix: Extract PIIX3 functions to hw/isa/piix3.c
2be85e3 hw/pci-host/piix: Fix code style issues
8d47836 hw/pci-host/piix: Move i440FX declarations to hw/pci-host/i440fx.h
486b8c8 hw/pci-host/piix: Define and use the PIIX IRQ Route Control Registers
3b8d9a8 hw/pci-host/piix: Move RCR_IOPORT register definition
81f9a29 hw/pci-host/piix: Extract piix3_create()
c52f9e8 hw/i386: Remove obsolete LoadStateHandler::load_state_old handlers
f1f8cc1 hw/isa/piix4: Move piix4_create() to hw/isa/piix4.c
b3e67a2 hw/mips/mips_malta: Extract the PIIX4 creation code as piix4_create()
010fea9 hw/mips/mips_malta: Create IDE hard drive array dynamically
7eb4ef4 piix4: Add a MC146818 RTC Controller as specified in datasheet
081681a piix4: Add an i8254 PIT Controller as specified in datasheet
1324e3c piix4: Add an i8257 DMA Controller as specified in datasheet
1575c16 piix4: Rename PIIX4 object to piix4-isa
94e1fc6 Revert "irq: introduce qemu_irq_proxy()"
97363d5 piix4: Add an i8259 Interrupt Controller as specified in datasheet
a4fae07 piix4: Add the Reset Control Register
cdf07cc MAINTAINERS: Keep PIIX4 South Bridge separate from PC Chipsets

=== OUTPUT BEGIN ===
1/20 Checking commit cdf07cc06443 (MAINTAINERS: Keep PIIX4 South Bridge separate from PC Chipsets)
2/20 Checking commit a4fae0781590 (piix4: Add the Reset Control Register)
3/20 Checking commit 97363d58b691 (piix4: Add an i8259 Interrupt Controller as specified in datasheet)
4/20 Checking commit 94e1fc693918 (Revert "irq: introduce qemu_irq_proxy()")
5/20 Checking commit 1575c16a5e0a (piix4: Rename PIIX4 object to piix4-isa)
6/20 Checking commit 1324e3c5245d (piix4: Add an i8257 DMA Controller as specified in datasheet)
7/20 Checking commit 081681a42b68 (piix4: Add an i8254 PIT Controller as specified in datasheet)
8/20 Checking commit 7eb4ef4e008c (piix4: Add a MC146818 RTC Controller as specified in datasheet)
WARNING: added, moved or deleted file(s), does MAINTAINERS need updating?
#195: 
deleted file mode 100644

total: 0 errors, 1 warnings, 166 lines checked

Patch 8/20 has style problems, please review.  If any of these errors
are false positives report them to the maintainer, see
CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.
9/20 Checking commit 010fea91a9c0 (hw/mips/mips_malta: Create IDE hard drive array dynamically)
10/20 Checking commit b3e67a2aee92 (hw/mips/mips_malta: Extract the PIIX4 creation code as piix4_create())
11/20 Checking commit f1f8cc125a08 (hw/isa/piix4: Move piix4_create() to hw/isa/piix4.c)
12/20 Checking commit c52f9e82acd5 (hw/i386: Remove obsolete LoadStateHandler::load_state_old handlers)
13/20 Checking commit 81f9a29fcead (hw/pci-host/piix: Extract piix3_create())
14/20 Checking commit 3b8d9a8dcae0 (hw/pci-host/piix: Move RCR_IOPORT register definition)
15/20 Checking commit 486b8c8b809e (hw/pci-host/piix: Define and use the PIIX IRQ Route Control Registers)
16/20 Checking commit 8d47836f5a7e (hw/pci-host/piix: Move i440FX declarations to hw/pci-host/i440fx.h)
WARNING: added, moved or deleted file(s), does MAINTAINERS need updating?
#100: 
new file mode 100644

total: 0 errors, 1 warnings, 101 lines checked

Patch 16/20 has style problems, please review.  If any of these errors
are false positives report them to the maintainer, see
CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.
17/20 Checking commit 2be85e397d14 (hw/pci-host/piix: Fix code style issues)
18/20 Checking commit 474b121662e8 (hw/pci-host/piix: Extract PIIX3 functions to hw/isa/piix3.c)
WARNING: added, moved or deleted file(s), does MAINTAINERS need updating?
#67: 
new file mode 100644

ERROR: spaces required around that '*' (ctx:VxV)
#316: FILE: hw/isa/piix3.c:245:
+    .subsections = (const VMStateDescription*[]) {
                                             ^

total: 1 errors, 1 warnings, 937 lines checked

Patch 18/20 has style problems, please review.  If any of these errors
are false positives report them to the maintainer, see
CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.

19/20 Checking commit 1867a8558d6e (hw/pci-host: Rename incorrectly named 'piix' as 'i440fx')
WARNING: added, moved or deleted file(s), does MAINTAINERS need updating?
#71: 
rename from hw/pci-host/piix.c

total: 0 errors, 1 warnings, 32 lines checked

Patch 19/20 has style problems, please review.  If any of these errors
are false positives report them to the maintainer, see
CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.
20/20 Checking commit dff7d02fcc42 (hw/pci-host/i440fx: Remove the last PIIX3 traces)
=== OUTPUT END ===

Test command exited with code: 1


The full log is available at
http://patchew.org/logs/20191026180143.7369-1-philmd@redhat.com/testing.checkpatch/?type=message.
---
Email generated automatically by Patchew [https://patchew.org/].
Please send your feedback to patchew-devel@redhat.com
_______________________________________________
Xen-devel mailing list
Xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org
https://lists.xenproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen-devel