[Qemu-devel] [PATCH-for-4.1? 0/7] vl: Allow building with CONFIG_BLUETOOTH disabled

Philippe Mathieu-Daudé posted 7 patches 13 weeks ago
Test docker-clang@ubuntu failed
Test docker-mingw@fedora passed
Test s390x passed
Test checkpatch passed
Test asan passed
Test FreeBSD passed
Patches applied successfully (tree, apply log)
git fetch https://github.com/patchew-project/qemu tags/patchew/20190712133928.21394-1-philmd@redhat.com
Maintainers: Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com>, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com>, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>
MAINTAINERS         |   7 +++
Makefile.objs       |   3 +-
bt-opts.c           | 140 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
bt-stubs.c          |  18 ++++++
hw/arm/Kconfig      |   1 +
hw/bt/Makefile.objs |   4 +-
hw/usb/Kconfig      |   2 +-
include/sysemu/bt.h |   3 +
vl.c                | 121 --------------------------------------
9 files changed, 174 insertions(+), 125 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 bt-opts.c
create mode 100644 bt-stubs.c

[Qemu-devel] [PATCH-for-4.1? 0/7] vl: Allow building with CONFIG_BLUETOOTH disabled

Posted by Philippe Mathieu-Daudé 13 weeks ago
A series of obvious patches to build without the deprecated
bluetooth devices. Still worth for 4.1 or too late?
It is clearly not a bugfix.

Regards,

Phil.

Philippe Mathieu-Daudé (7):
  hw/arm: Nokia N-series tablet requires Bluetooth
  hw/usb: Bluetooth HCI USB depends on USB & BLUETOOTH
  MAINTAINERS: Add a Bluetooth entry
  vl: Fix 'braces' coding style issues
  vl: Use qemu_strtoi() instead of strtol()
  vl: Extract bt_parse() into its own file
  hw/bt: Allow building with CONFIG_BLUETOOTH disabled

 MAINTAINERS         |   7 +++
 Makefile.objs       |   3 +-
 bt-opts.c           | 140 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 bt-stubs.c          |  18 ++++++
 hw/arm/Kconfig      |   1 +
 hw/bt/Makefile.objs |   4 +-
 hw/usb/Kconfig      |   2 +-
 include/sysemu/bt.h |   3 +
 vl.c                | 121 --------------------------------------
 9 files changed, 174 insertions(+), 125 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 bt-opts.c
 create mode 100644 bt-stubs.c

-- 
2.20.1


Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH-for-4.1? 0/7] vl: Allow building with CONFIG_BLUETOOTH disabled

Posted by Thomas Huth 13 weeks ago
On 12/07/2019 15.39, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> A series of obvious patches to build without the deprecated
> bluetooth devices. Still worth for 4.1 or too late?
> It is clearly not a bugfix.

I wonder whether this series is worth the effort right now, or whether
we should simply nuke the bluetooth code after 4.1 has been released?

 Thomas

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH-for-4.1? 0/7] vl: Allow building with CONFIG_BLUETOOTH disabled

Posted by Philippe Mathieu-Daudé 8 weeks ago
On 7/15/19 3:13 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 12/07/2019 15.39, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>> A series of obvious patches to build without the deprecated
>> bluetooth devices. Still worth for 4.1 or too late?
>> It is clearly not a bugfix.
> 
> I wonder whether this series is worth the effort right now, or whether
> we should simply nuke the bluetooth code after 4.1 has been released?

Well, perfect is the enemy of good :)

This series is already done and is an improvement to what we have.

Regarding nuking it, it depends on the Nokia N-series boards, they might
become useless without BT support.

Peter, as a maintainer of these boards, what do you prefer?

Thanks,

Phil.

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH-for-4.1? 0/7] vl: Allow building with CONFIG_BLUETOOTH disabled

Posted by Peter Maydell 8 weeks ago
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 15:01, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 7/15/19 3:13 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > On 12/07/2019 15.39, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> >> A series of obvious patches to build without the deprecated
> >> bluetooth devices. Still worth for 4.1 or too late?
> >> It is clearly not a bugfix.
> >
> > I wonder whether this series is worth the effort right now, or whether
> > we should simply nuke the bluetooth code after 4.1 has been released?
>
> Well, perfect is the enemy of good :)
>
> This series is already done and is an improvement to what we have.
>
> Regarding nuking it, it depends on the Nokia N-series boards, they might
> become useless without BT support.

Er, they're not useless at all without BT support. The BT
hardware is a really tiny part that I doubt many users of
the board models ever used. As long as we retain a "simulate
doing nothing much" model of the BT device to show the guest
I don't care whether the BT backend code disappears.

thanks
-- PMM

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH-for-4.1? 0/7] vl: Allow building with CONFIG_BLUETOOTH disabled

Posted by Philippe Mathieu-Daudé 8 weeks ago
On 8/13/19 4:04 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 15:01, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 7/15/19 3:13 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:
>>> On 12/07/2019 15.39, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>>>> A series of obvious patches to build without the deprecated
>>>> bluetooth devices. Still worth for 4.1 or too late?
>>>> It is clearly not a bugfix.
>>>
>>> I wonder whether this series is worth the effort right now, or whether
>>> we should simply nuke the bluetooth code after 4.1 has been released?
>>
>> Well, perfect is the enemy of good :)
>>
>> This series is already done and is an improvement to what we have.
>>
>> Regarding nuking it, it depends on the Nokia N-series boards, they might
>> become useless without BT support.
> 
> Er, they're not useless at all without BT support. The BT
> hardware is a really tiny part that I doubt many users of
> the board models ever used. As long as we retain a "simulate
> doing nothing much" model of the BT device to show the guest
> I don't care whether the BT backend code disappears.

OK, I won't insist then.

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH-for-4.1? 0/7] vl: Allow building with CONFIG_BLUETOOTH disabled

Posted by Richard Henderson 13 weeks ago
On 7/12/19 3:39 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> A series of obvious patches to build without the deprecated
> bluetooth devices. Still worth for 4.1 or too late?
> It is clearly not a bugfix.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Phil.
> 
> Philippe Mathieu-Daudé (7):
>   hw/arm: Nokia N-series tablet requires Bluetooth
>   hw/usb: Bluetooth HCI USB depends on USB & BLUETOOTH
>   MAINTAINERS: Add a Bluetooth entry
>   vl: Fix 'braces' coding style issues
>   vl: Use qemu_strtoi() instead of strtol()
>   vl: Extract bt_parse() into its own file
>   hw/bt: Allow building with CONFIG_BLUETOOTH disabled

All of this looks plausible to me to go along with the 4.1 deprecation.

Reviewed-by: Richard Henderson <richard.henderson@linaro.org>


r~