[edk2-devel] [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency

Wu, Hao A posted 6 patches 2 weeks ago
Failed in applying to current master (apply log)
OvmfPkg/OvmfPkg.dec                                                      |    4 +
OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32.dsc                                                  |    2 -
OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32X64.dsc                                               |    2 -
OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgX64.dsc                                                   |    2 -
OvmfPkg/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupportDxe/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupport.inf |    1 -
OvmfPkg/Library/PlatformBootManagerLib/PlatformBootManagerLib.inf        |    5 +-
OvmfPkg/PlatformPei/PlatformPei.inf                                      |    3 +-
OvmfPkg/Include/Protocol/LegacyBios.h                                    | 1553 ++++++++++++++++++++
8 files changed, 1560 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 OvmfPkg/Include/Protocol/LegacyBios.h

[edk2-devel] [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency

Posted by Wu, Hao A 2 weeks ago
The series is also available at:
https://github.com/hwu25/edk2/tree/ovmf_drop_framework_v2

V2 changes:

* Update to module OvmfPkg/Csm/CsmSupportLib/CsmSupportLib.inf has been
  dropped, since the module is proposed to be removed in another series:
  https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42142

* Copy LegacyBios protocol definitions from IntelFrameworkPkg, since
  OvmfPkg/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupportDxe/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupport.inf
  has a dependency on it. This was not done in V1 series since such copy
  was previous covered by another series to duplicate the required CSM
  modules into OvmfPkg. (Now this series has been dropped.)


V1 history:

The series will drop the IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency for below
modules within OvmfPkg:

OvmfPkg/PlatformPei/PlatformPei.inf
OvmfPkg/Library/PlatformBootManagerLib/PlatformBootManagerLib.inf
OvmfPkg/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupportDxe/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupport.inf
OvmfPkg/Csm/CsmSupportLib/CsmSupportLib.inf


Verification done for the series:
* Build pass for OvmfPkg;
* Boot to shell with the built images.

Cc: Ray Ni <ray.ni@intel.com>
Cc: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
Cc: Jordan Justen <jordan.l.justen@intel.com>
Cc: Laszlo Ersek <lersek@redhat.com>
Cc: Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@linaro.org>

Hao A Wu (6):
  OvmfPkg/PlatformPei: Remove redundant reference of framework pkg DEC
  OvmfPkg/OvmfPkg.dec: Add PcdShellFile in OVMF DEC file
  OvmfPkg/PlatformBootManagerLib: Use PcdShellFile defined in OvmfPkg
  OvmfPkg/DSC: Remove the consume of PcdShellFile in framework package
  OvmfPkg: Copy LegacyBios protocol definitions from IntelFrameworkPkg
  OvmfPkg/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupportDxe: Drop framework pkg dependency

 OvmfPkg/OvmfPkg.dec                                                      |    4 +
 OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32.dsc                                                  |    2 -
 OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32X64.dsc                                               |    2 -
 OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgX64.dsc                                                   |    2 -
 OvmfPkg/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupportDxe/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupport.inf |    1 -
 OvmfPkg/Library/PlatformBootManagerLib/PlatformBootManagerLib.inf        |    5 +-
 OvmfPkg/PlatformPei/PlatformPei.inf                                      |    3 +-
 OvmfPkg/Include/Protocol/LegacyBios.h                                    | 1553 ++++++++++++++++++++
 8 files changed, 1560 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 OvmfPkg/Include/Protocol/LegacyBios.h

-- 
2.12.0.windows.1


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#42146): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42146
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/32011839/1787277
Group Owner: devel+owner@edk2.groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/unsub  [importer@patchew.org]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: [edk2-devel] [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency

Posted by Jordan Justen 2 weeks ago
On 2019-06-10 18:43:07, Hao A Wu wrote:
> The series is also available at:
> https://github.com/hwu25/edk2/tree/ovmf_drop_framework_v2
> 
> V2 changes:
> 
> * Update to module OvmfPkg/Csm/CsmSupportLib/CsmSupportLib.inf has been
>   dropped, since the module is proposed to be removed in another series:
>   https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42142

I see that https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1811
mentions that there is "missing of reviewer/maintainer of the CSM
modules in OvmfPkg", so it will be dropped. Yet, I thought David
agreed to maintain that support as recently as May 20:

https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/41049

Maybe he changed his mind about it?

By the way, I know that Scott (Cc'd) was interested in leveraging CSM
support of OVMF for a fork that supports the BSD bhyve hypervisor.

-Jordan

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#42182): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42182
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/32011839/1787277
Group Owner: devel+owner@edk2.groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/unsub  [importer@patchew.org]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: [edk2-devel] [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency

Posted by David Woodhouse 2 weeks ago
On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 00:35 -0700, Jordan Justen wrote:
> I see that https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1811
> mentions that there is "missing of reviewer/maintainer of the CSM
> modules in OvmfPkg", so it will be dropped. Yet, I thought David
> agreed to maintain that support as recently as May 20:
> 
> https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/41049
> 
> Maybe he changed his mind about it?

No, I'm happy to do it. Just been fairly busy recently.

There appears to be nothing actually on fire this week. I may actually
get to spend some quality time making sure it works again.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#42214): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42214
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/32011839/1787277
Group Owner: devel+owner@edk2.groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/unsub  [importer@patchew.org]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: [edk2-devel] [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency

Posted by Wu, Hao A 2 weeks ago
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Woodhouse [mailto:dwmw2@infradead.org]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:37 PM
> To: Justen, Jordan L; Wu, Hao A; devel@edk2.groups.io
> Cc: Ni, Ray; Laszlo Ersek; Ard Biesheuvel; Phillips, D Scott
> Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg
> dependency
> 
> On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 00:35 -0700, Jordan Justen wrote:
> > I see that https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1811
> > mentions that there is "missing of reviewer/maintainer of the CSM
> > modules in OvmfPkg", so it will be dropped. Yet, I thought David
> > agreed to maintain that support as recently as May 20:
> >
> > https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/41049
> >
> > Maybe he changed his mind about it?
> 
> No, I'm happy to do it. Just been fairly busy recently.
> 
> There appears to be nothing actually on fire this week. I may actually
> get to spend some quality time making sure it works again.

Hello all,

For the series:
[PATCH v2 00/10] Duplicate required CSM components for OVMF
https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/41385

I sent it out on May 27th, and did not receive a confirmation from David
for about 2 weeks. I think maybe the CSM support on OVMF is no longer
cared, and thus I sent another series today to drop such support: 
[PATCH v1 0/2] OVMF: Drop CSM support
https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42142

Please help to provide some feedbacks/confirmation on what should I do for
the next step. (This task actually blocks our proposal to remove
IntelFramework[Module]Pkg from edk2.)

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Hao Wu


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#42183): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42183
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/32011839/1787277
Group Owner: devel+owner@edk2.groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/unsub  [importer@patchew.org]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: [edk2-devel] [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency

Posted by David Woodhouse 2 weeks ago
On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 07:49 +0000, Wu, Hao A wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> For the series:
> [PATCH v2 00/10] Duplicate required CSM components for OVMF
> https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/41385
> 
> I sent it out on May 27th, and did not receive a confirmation from David
> for about 2 weeks. I think maybe the CSM support on OVMF is no longer
> cared, and thus I sent another series today to drop such support: 
> [PATCH v1 0/2] OVMF: Drop CSM support
> https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42142
> 
> Please help to provide some feedbacks/confirmation on what should I do for
> the next step. (This task actually blocks our proposal to remove
> IntelFramework[Module]Pkg from edk2.)


Apologies for the delay. It wasn't clear that the first series was
actually tested by booting with a CSM, and I was reluctant to ack it
without knowing that it didn't cause a regression.

This is, of course, complicated by the fact that I can't actually get a
CSM boot to complete at the moment. But it gets a long way into the
boot process before something goes wrong, so confirmation that it still
gets at least that far with your 'Duplicate required CSM components'
series would be good.

Is there a git tree I can pull from? I seem to recall that last time I
spent serious time working on OVMF, life was horribly complicated by
CRLF line endings, and it was extremely painful to just apply patches
from email... is that still the case?



-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#42215): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42215
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/32011839/1787277
Group Owner: devel+owner@edk2.groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/unsub  [importer@patchew.org]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: [edk2-devel] [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency

Posted by Wu, Hao A 2 weeks ago
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Woodhouse [mailto:dwmw2@infradead.org]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 4:01 PM
> To: Wu, Hao A; Justen, Jordan L; devel@edk2.groups.io
> Cc: Ni, Ray; Laszlo Ersek; Ard Biesheuvel; Phillips, D Scott
> Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg
> dependency
> 
> On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 07:49 +0000, Wu, Hao A wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > For the series:
> > [PATCH v2 00/10] Duplicate required CSM components for OVMF
> > https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/41385
> >
> > I sent it out on May 27th, and did not receive a confirmation from David
> > for about 2 weeks. I think maybe the CSM support on OVMF is no longer
> > cared, and thus I sent another series today to drop such support:
> > [PATCH v1 0/2] OVMF: Drop CSM support
> > https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42142
> >
> > Please help to provide some feedbacks/confirmation on what should I do
> for
> > the next step. (This task actually blocks our proposal to remove
> > IntelFramework[Module]Pkg from edk2.)
> 
> 
> Apologies for the delay. It wasn't clear that the first series was
> actually tested by booting with a CSM, and I was reluctant to ack it
> without knowing that it didn't cause a regression.

Agree, I understand that.

> 
> This is, of course, complicated by the fact that I can't actually get a
> CSM boot to complete at the moment. But it gets a long way into the
> boot process before something goes wrong, so confirmation that it still
> gets at least that far with your 'Duplicate required CSM components'
> series would be good.
> 
> Is there a git tree I can pull from? I seem to recall that last time I
> spent serious time working on OVMF, life was horribly complicated by
> CRLF line endings, and it was extremely painful to just apply patches
> from email... is that still the case?

Yes, you can get the first series at:
https://github.com/hwu25/edk2/commits/ovmf_csm_v2

Best Regards,
Hao Wu

> 


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#42185): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42185
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/32011839/1787277
Group Owner: devel+owner@edk2.groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/unsub  [importer@patchew.org]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: [edk2-devel] [PATCH v2 0/6] Ovmf: Drop IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency

Posted by Ard Biesheuvel 2 weeks ago
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 03:43, Hao A Wu <hao.a.wu@intel.com> wrote:
>
> The series is also available at:
> https://github.com/hwu25/edk2/tree/ovmf_drop_framework_v2
>
> V2 changes:
>
> * Update to module OvmfPkg/Csm/CsmSupportLib/CsmSupportLib.inf has been
>   dropped, since the module is proposed to be removed in another series:
>   https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42142
>
> * Copy LegacyBios protocol definitions from IntelFrameworkPkg, since
>   OvmfPkg/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupportDxe/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupport.inf
>   has a dependency on it. This was not done in V1 series since such copy
>   was previous covered by another series to duplicate the required CSM
>   modules into OvmfPkg. (Now this series has been dropped.)
>
>
> V1 history:
>
> The series will drop the IntelFramework[Module]Pkg dependency for below
> modules within OvmfPkg:
>
> OvmfPkg/PlatformPei/PlatformPei.inf
> OvmfPkg/Library/PlatformBootManagerLib/PlatformBootManagerLib.inf
> OvmfPkg/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupportDxe/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupport.inf
> OvmfPkg/Csm/CsmSupportLib/CsmSupportLib.inf
>
>
> Verification done for the series:
> * Build pass for OvmfPkg;
> * Boot to shell with the built images.
>
> Cc: Ray Ni <ray.ni@intel.com>
> Cc: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
> Cc: Jordan Justen <jordan.l.justen@intel.com>
> Cc: Laszlo Ersek <lersek@redhat.com>
> Cc: Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@linaro.org>
>
> Hao A Wu (6):
>   OvmfPkg/PlatformPei: Remove redundant reference of framework pkg DEC
>   OvmfPkg/OvmfPkg.dec: Add PcdShellFile in OVMF DEC file
>   OvmfPkg/PlatformBootManagerLib: Use PcdShellFile defined in OvmfPkg
>   OvmfPkg/DSC: Remove the consume of PcdShellFile in framework package
>   OvmfPkg: Copy LegacyBios protocol definitions from IntelFrameworkPkg
>   OvmfPkg/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupportDxe: Drop framework pkg dependency
>

As before

Acked-by: Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@linaro.org>

but Laszlo needs to ack this as well.

>  OvmfPkg/OvmfPkg.dec                                                      |    4 +
>  OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32.dsc                                                  |    2 -
>  OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32X64.dsc                                               |    2 -
>  OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgX64.dsc                                                   |    2 -
>  OvmfPkg/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupportDxe/IncompatiblePciDeviceSupport.inf |    1 -
>  OvmfPkg/Library/PlatformBootManagerLib/PlatformBootManagerLib.inf        |    5 +-
>  OvmfPkg/PlatformPei/PlatformPei.inf                                      |    3 +-
>  OvmfPkg/Include/Protocol/LegacyBios.h                                    | 1553 ++++++++++++++++++++
>  8 files changed, 1560 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)
>  create mode 100644 OvmfPkg/Include/Protocol/LegacyBios.h
>
> --
> 2.12.0.windows.1
>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#42178): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42178
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/32011839/1787277
Group Owner: devel+owner@edk2.groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/unsub  [importer@patchew.org]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-